Edinburgh United vs Blackburn United

South Challenge Cup 2nd Round – Saturday 15th October 2022

Edinburgh United 0
Blackburn United 6 Gould 10, Devine 17, 35 & 60, L.Meikle 82 & 86

With ten minutes gone, a Laurie Devine free-kick just outside the area was palmed away by Andrew Smith but Michael Gould was on hand to knock in the rebound to open the scoring.

Seven minutes later the lead was doubled when Laurie Devine got on the end of a Scott Richards through ball, Smith half blocked his shot which looped up and into the net. Smith blocked another Devine effort on the half hour mark but five minutes later it was three when a Luke Meikle corner was cleared to the edge of the box where Devine smashed the ball into the corner of the net.

There was still time for a John Binnie lobbed effort to sneak just past.

Second half started with the first real chances for the home side when Craig Ferrier had his effort blocked by Craig Saunders, the John Lamond also brought out a save from Saunders. Edinburgh were reduced to 10 men on 54 minutes when Calum Henderson was sent packing for a second yellow.

Daryl Meikle flashed a shot wide before Laurie Devine completed his hattrick on the hour mark when he blocked Smith’s clearance and stroked the ball into the empty net. Smith redeemed himself moments later when he somehow got a hand to a Richards shot and tipped it over the bar.

Calum Heath had an effort cleared off the line with ten minutes left before Luke Meikle converted a cut-back from Richards to make it five, and then a few minutes later he angled a drive past Smith for his second.

Edinburgh United: Andrew Smith, Reece Wyllie, Daniel Kay, Calum Henderson, Findlay Tough, Declan Paterson (Ross Aitken 29), Jack Egan (Jack Wilson 60), Harris Mackintosh, Ross Nicholson (Nathan Johnson 60), Craig Ferrier, Josh Lamond. Unused subs: Fraser Taylor.

Blackburn United: Craig Saunders, John Binnie, Joe Osborne, David Wilson (James Mildren 72), Marcus Millar (Adam Forrest 66), Daryl Meikle (Calum Heath 66), Michael Gould (David Howe 66), Scott Richards, Laurie Devine (Richie Hutton 66), Danny Campbell, Luke Meikle. Unused subs: Emre Karaduman, Jakub Welna.

Referee: Ralph Gordon


Edinburgh United vs Blackburn United

Edinburgh United 0

Blackburn United 5 (Downie 50mins, 63mins & 80mins, Drummond 55mins, Campbell 90+1mins)

Blackburn travelled to Paties Road knowing that a win would bring with it EoSFL Premier League football next season, while any other result would mean that Preston Athletic would claim the remaining Tier 6 spot for season 2019/20. The hosts had all but put to the sword the hopes of Heriot Watt the previous week in a surprise 3-0 victory and they were keen to show that result was no fluke when, in the opening quarter, they held sway both in terms of possession and territory, although the only worthy chance carved out came when Auriemma hit the left byeline and cut a ball back for Swanson who was ultimately denied a clean strike at goal by the intervention of John Drummond. McKinlay then burst clear heading towards the interval only for Darren Mitchell to rush from his goal line and block the forwards resulting toe poke of a shot before Blackburn eventually threatened, Michael Browne sending a pass in front of Danny Campbell wide on the right but his square ball was just behind the arriving Richie Hutton, although there were loud claims that he had been impeded in going for the ball.

Four minutes after the resumption the capital side almost squeezed in front but for a brilliant double save from Mitchell, first denying a twenty yarder from Auriemma at full stretch before somehow quickly scrambling back to his feet to bravely block Conlon’s follow-up from point blank range. This was to herald the turning point in the match and not much more than a minute later Blackburn had grabbed the all-important opening goal, Laurie Devine turning Watson first one way and then another before clipping a ball across the six yard box which Darren DOWNIE controlled expertly and lifted past Dowie into the waiting net. Within five minutes the single goal lead was duly doubled when DRUMMOND rose highest at the back post to head home a Craig Young delivery. Mitchell was then the hero at the other end again, tipping over a net-bound Swanson header and this was the platform for Blackburn to score once more and make the game, the three points and Tier 6 football safe when a deep Campbell corner was headed back across goal by Drummond for James Mildren to nod goalward and although his effort was scrambled off the line DOWNIE was perfectly placed to head it back past a jumble of bodies and into the net. Now looking capable of scoring in every venture forward, Blackburn added a fourth ten minutes from time when young substitute Take Hirooka rolled a perfectly weighted pass inside the right full-back for DOWNIE to latch onto and lash past Dowie and the scoring was complete a minute into added time when Downie was put through on goal yet again and when his shot was half blocked it fell to CAMPBELL to apply the finishing touch. At the final whistle the second half performance deservedly saw the Blackburn players applauded from the park by the travelling support who had made up the majority of the Paties Road crowd.

Blackburn United line-up: Mitchell, Mildren, Drummond, Lawrie, Williamson, Browne, Hutton (Trialist – Landels 84), Young, Downie, Campbell, Trialist – L.Devine (Trialist – Hirooka 65mins)  Subs (not used): M.Campbell, McDowall, Sinnet

Edinburgh United line-up: Dowie, Watson, S.Murray, Spalding, Guiney, Conlon, Swanson, J.Murray, Robertson, McKinlay, Auriemma  Subs: Swinney, Kerr, May, Maughan, Ritchie, Brockie, Hutchison

Referee: Mr. Iain Gallacher

Att: 70