Camelon Juniors vs Blackburn United

Camelon 3 (Wallace 2mins, Cowan 40mins, Baird 51mins)
Blackburn United 4 (Heath 30mins & 58mins, Hutton 68mins, McQuillan 81mins)

The quickest of starts by the hosts saw the Carmuirs men ahead inside two minutes when WALLACE was sharp to react to a ball arriving at his feet inside the box to lash it across Craig Saunders and in at the left hand post. However, United might have been level not too long thereafter when James Mildren won possession out on the right and whipped in a cross, but Andy McQuillan could only head it past the upright. Another glorious chance then came and went for the equaliser when Calum Heath made space to clip a ball into the feet of McQuillan who was duly upended as he maneuvered for space inside the box. Marty Lawrie saw his resultant penalty brush against the outside of the right hand post on its way past. McQuillan’s close control caused all sorts of problems for the Camelon backline again moments later and when he was once more brought crashing to the ground, the free-kick awarded some twenty yards from goal was guided around the wall and in at the bottom left hand corner by HEATH. On top of the game and looking for the lead, Blackburn were then reduced to ten men when Mildren caught Taylor high in front of the home dugout, although the Camelon man too was a little robust in his lunge for the ball, and the hosts made their man advantage count five minutes from the break when ex-United youth player Jackson COWAN curled a free-kick past Saunders.

It took only six minutes of second half play for the hosts to stretch their lead, BAIRD finding himself free inside the middle of the six yard box to sweep a cross from the right past an exposed Saunders. However, Blackburn still looked more than capable of breaching the Carmuirs Park sides defence and before the hour mark HEATH had halved the deficit with a beauty, cutting in from the right and curling an unstoppable effort past the flailing hands of Welna. Seven minutes later Heath was the provider for the deserved equaliser when he took advantage of McQuillan harrying Boyle into a mistake to deliver a pinpoint cross onto the head of Richie HUTTON to nod into Welna’s net. The hosts, though, were almost back ahead but for Saunders touching over a fine strike by Stevenson from the edge of the area. Jack Sayers then made a surging run on the right but couldn’t get his shot away as he might have liked, the ball falling for McQuillan whose effort was held. However, United were not to be denied and the fight back was complete when McQUILLAN refused to give up on a ball down the left channel, bullying his man out of possession and hairing in on goal to brilliantly fire past Welna from a tight angle for what proved to be the winner.

Blackburn United line-up: Saunders, Mildren, Lawrie, Cameron, Millar, Browne, Heath (Devine 77), Meikle, McQuillan (Sweeney 88), Howe (Sayers 35), Hutton Subs (not used): Drummond, McClung, Smith, King

Camelon line-up: Welna, Sandison, Lemetti, Boyle, Macisaac, Baird, Cowan, Wallace, Stewart, Taylor, Stevenson Subs: Mowat, Forrest, McDonald, McCafferty, Canavan, Gould

Referee: Mr. Craig Wilson
Assistants: Mr. Steven Adair & Mr. Derryn Brogan


Camelon Juniors vs Blackburn United


Camelon Juniors vs Blackburn United

Camelon 1 (Cameron 47mins)
Blackburn United 2 (McQuillan 60mins, Young 90mins pen)

United looked the brighter side in the opening exchanges as both sides strived to put their opening day loses behind them but it was Camelon who had the first clear opportunity when Swanson whipped a delivery in from the left which Kay could only head past. At the other end clever work by Danny Campbell put Andy McQuillan in and when he tricked his way past Lochie to hit a sixteen yarder goalwards Kinnear made a fine save down low to his left. Campbell then fizzed in a cross from the right that reached the back post where McQuillan got in a powerful header which was blocked and when he reacted quickest to fire the ball back across the face of goal it was only just out of the reach of the inrushing Calum McDowall. Another header, this time from a Lochie free-kick, was just off target for Camelon, Morrison nodding rather weakly past before Darren Mitchell was called into action to save a Cameron effort from the edge of the area after he’d managed to get past a John Drummond challenge. With the last chance of the half Campbell went close with a long range lob after being set-up by Michael Brown and a clever turn and pass into space by McQuillan.

A minute after the resumption Blackburn came close again when Richie Hutton pulled a ball back from the left byeline and Campbell’s initial mishit rolled kindly for Dominic Kane but the midfielder could only lash his shot over. A minute later though and the hosts found themselves ahead when CAMERON chased down a long ball to nip past a couple of challenges on the edge of the eighteen yard box and brilliantly pick his spot in the bottom right hand corner of Mitchell’s net and he went close again seven minutes later when Docherty found him with a pass but this time Mitchell was equal to his effort. Ryan Kane also came close for the Carmuirs Park men just before the hour but his effort from distance flew over the top. Sixty seconds later it was United who had come up with a goal though, Dominic Kane picking out McDowall on the right and he cut the ball back into the box where McQUILLAN was on hand to roll a shot past Kinnear and home. With quarter of an hour remaining and the game finely balanced Blackburn were reduced to ten men when Drummond turned his back on a speculative shot from distance only for the ball to rattle against the back of an outstretched arm. With a free-kick correctly awarded a second yellow of the evening seemed a somewhat harsh additional punishment but referee Mr. Macrae was adamant the centre-half had to go. However, despite being shorthanded Blackburn seemed comfortable and, indeed, secured all three points in the final minute of the game when a McQuillan shot was handled by Skinner inside the area and from the resultant spot-kick substitute Craig YOUNG fired past the despairing dive of Kinnear.

Blackburn United line-up: Mitchell, Welsh, Lawrie, Browne, Drummond, Kane (Young 63), Hutton (Mildren 75), MacLeod, McQuillan, Campbell (L.Devine 66), McDowall Subs (not used): Bonnar, S.Devine, MacKay, Clements

Camelon line-up: Kinnear, McGroary, Swanson, Skinner, Lochie, Kay, Kane, Da.Morrison, Cameron, A.Sneddon, Docherty Subs: Herron, Do.Morrison, Daramola, B.Sneddon, Love, Fullerton

Referee: Mr. Craig Macrae
Assistants: Mr. Andrew Strang & Mr. Rhys Struthers


Camelon Juniors vs Blackburn United

King Cup Second Round  –  Saturday 2nd March 2019

Camelon                         3           ​Skinner 45+1, Anderson 52, Docherty 73

Blackburn United          0          

Missing top scorer Darren Downie, United made the thirty minute or so journey to face fellow Conference C side Camelon in the King Cup but were further up against it as early as the eleventh minute when his replacement, Danny Campbell, pulled up with what looked like a hamstring problem as he chased a through ball, young Aaron Gowans coming on in his place and into an unfamiliar strikers role. However only four minutes later Blackburn almost grabbed the lead, but when home ‘keeper Shaw failed to deal adequately with a Stuart McLeod free-kick into the box Skinner was on hand to spare his blushes and clear off the line. A further eight minutes on and Skinner’s central defensive partner Morrison took his turn to be in the right place at the right time, getting back to hack the ball off the line after Gowans had raced onto a Craig Young through ball and beaten Shaw with his shot. The hosts, though, were beginning to feel their way into the game and when Lochie hit a twenty yard free kick into the defensive wall Marty Lawrie did well to get his head to the full-back’s follow-up effort to deflect it past for a corner. From McKenzie’s resultant flag kick Sneddon headed the ball onto the roof of Darren Mitchell’s net. In the time added on at the end of the half for Campbell’s early injury Camelon then forced one last opening from a corner, Sneddon heading goalwards where McLeod was on hand to head the ball up against his own crossbar and clear only for it to eventually be forced back across the face of goal where SKINNER had found a yard of space to knock home. Despite vociferous complaints that the scorer was offside and referee Mr. Newman speaking briefly with his enclosure side linesman the goal stood.

Seven minutes after the resumption the Carmuirs Park men forged two ahead when, after a James Mildren foul some twenty plus yards from goal, the prolific ANDERSON fired the resultant free-kick into Mitchell’s bottom left hand corner. United then scorned a terrific opportunity to haul themselves back into the cup tie when Gowans put Richie Hutton through on Shaw but the home ‘keeper’s speed from his line had narrowed the angle sufficiently enough that the Blackburn man couldn’t force his shot past him. With seventeen minutes remaining Camelon ensured any lingering doubts over the result were extinguished when substitute DOCHERTY was quick and clever to beat the offside trap and advance on goal before drawing Mitchell and sliding an effort beyond him and into the waiting net. Before the end Mitchell pulled off a top drawer save to make sure the score stayed as it was and by the final whistle the hosts had deservedly advanced to the third round, although the final scoreline was perhaps just a little bit flattering.

Blackburn United line-up: Mitchell, Herriot, Lawrie, Mildren, Drummond, Browne, Williamson, McLeod, Campbell (Gowans 11), Young, Hutton (L.Devine 74)  Subs (not used): Bonnar, M.Campbell, Sinnet, Ure

Camelon line-up: Shaw, Deans, Lochie, Morrison, Skinner, Kay, Kane, Herron, Sneddon, Anderson, McKenzie  Subs: Docherty, Frame, McMullan, McCroary, Batchelor, Livingstone

Referee: Mr. Chris Newman               Assistants: Mr. Chris Hobbs & Mr. Darren Robertson

Att: 150