League: South Regional Challenge Cup

Blackburn United vs Newburgh


Blackburn United vs East Stirlingshire

Blackburn United 1 (L.Devine 88mins)
East Stirlingshire 2 (Flynn 23mins & 63mins)
Not so long ago the visitors were operating in the SPFL2 while United were on the bottom rung of the Junior football ladder in the East Region South Division, so this first ever competitive meeting of the sides was indicative of just how quickly things can change in football and it was the ‘Shire who showed their greater pedigree in the early stages with both Flynn and Millar providing a constant menace to the Blackburn rearguard. Indeed, just when it seemed as though their threat was being harnessed it was FLYNN who opened the scoring midway through the half when his terrific glancing header from an Orr cross was behind Darren Mitchell before the ‘keeper had any real time to react. Moments later though Mitchell was able to keep out another headed effort, saving from Tapping who had got onto the end of a McCafferty delivery. Before the interval the visitors came close a couple of times more but Dishington saw one effort hit the side netting while another was blocked by Mitchell.
Thanks to a couple of early changes at the outset of the second period United were becoming more evident as an attacking force with young Laurie Devine, who had played a full ninety minutes in the previous evenings victory for the U20s over their Spartans counterparts, linking well with both Danny Campbell and Stuart McLeod but when the games next goal did arrive it was again the men from Falkirk who provided it, Peggie whipping in an inviting cross from the left that FLYNN got his head on to direct past Mitchell for his second of the game. Six minutes later Campbell clipped in a similar delivery at the other end but Devine’s header flew past before Devine then returned the compliment for Campbell, setting him up for a shot from the edge of the area that was blocked by Malone. Going into the closing stages Blackburn continued to push for a way back into the game and full-back James Mildren saw an angled shot saved before a late lifeline did arrive when debutant Nathan Donnelly-Kay slid a well weighted pass in front of DEVINE for the youngster to direct his shot across Barclay in the visitors goal and in at the bottom corner. However, with time running out it was the Shire who held on to advance to the fourth round of the South Region Challenge Cup.

Blackburn United line-up: Mitchell, Mildren, S.Devine (Drummond 46), Lawrie, Browne, Howe (Donnelly-Kay 69), Young, Kane, Robertson (L.Devine 49), Campbell, McLeod Subs (not used): Welsh, McIntosh, Clements
East Stirlingshire line-up: Barclay, Orr, Dyer, Tapping, Malone, Horne, Dishington, Peggie, Flynn, Millar, McCafferty Subs: Murray, D.Ure, Shirra, Greene, I.Ure
Referee: Mr. Ryan Lee
Assistants: Mr. Graeme Leslie & Mr. Raymond Hume


Blackburn United vs St.Cuthbert Wanderers

Blackburn United 8 (Hutton 29mins, 48mins & 68mins, McQuillan 35mins & 41mins, S.Devine 63mins, Howe 71mins, Campbell 85mins)
St Cuthbert Wanderers 1 (Milligan 19mins)

The first ever meeting of the two sides almost brought an early goal when full-back James Mildren found space on the right to swing in a cross that Andy McQuillan rattled against the underside of the crossbar with only seven minutes on the clock. However, when an early goal did arrive it was the men from Dumfries & Galloway who claimed it, a long ball forward carrying just far enough for MILLIGAN to nip in behind the United rear guard and calmly beat the exposed Jonny Clements with his shot. Minutes later, Mildren linked with Calum McDowall who then swapped passes with Dominic Kane to lift in a back post cross that Richie Hutton knocked past. HUTTON, though, was more accurate just before the half hour mark when the ball was worked out to him on the left corner of the eighteen yard box from where he curled a beauty across the face of goal and in for the equaliser. Six minutes later Blackburn then had the lead when McDowall clipped a pass over the top of the visiting defence for McQUILLAN to run onto and beat Wallace with his shot. Before the break McQUILLAN grabbed his second and United’s third, taking advantage of hesitancy inside the Wanderers box to fire past an unsighted Wallace, although Black almost pulled a goal back with the last attack of the half, racing clear onto a McDonald’s pass but with Clements off his line quickly to narrow his options the striker rushed his effort wide.

Four minutes after the restart Blackburn moved further ahead when HUTTON claimed his second of the afternoon, heading home a McDowall delivery at the back post. At the other end Clements held onto a half hit Harris shot before United found the net again, McQuillan thumping a Danny Campbell cut-back against the post and, when the ball was cleared, Stewart DEVINE met it some twenty five yards out to send it sailing high past Wallace and into the top corner. It was then 6-1 shortly thereafter when Kane, David Howe and Campbell linked to create the chance for HUTTON to claim his hat-trick and the wide player gleefully did just that with a composed finish. Inside the last twenty minutes John Drummond saw his header from a Campbell corner swept off the line by McMurtie but with the ball not fully cleared HOWE followed up to net from just outside the edge of the box. Nine minutes from time Howe almost added an eighth but his twenty five yarder crashed off the bar. However, before the end the eighth and final goal did arrive, McQuillan holding off his marker to hit a shot that was blocked only for CAMPBELL to follow it in and net with ease.

Blackburn United line-up: Clements, Mildren, S.Devine, Lawrie, Drummond, McLeod (Howe 66), McDowall (L.Devine 71), Kane, McQuillan, Campbell, Hutton (Cowan 71) Subs (not used): Browne, Morajda

St Cuthbert Wanderers line-up: Wallace, Hall, Williamson, McConaghie, Peat, McMurtie, Harris, Pipe, Black, McDonald, Milligan Subs: McAdam, Hyslop, Jackson, Davis

Referee: Mr. Daniel Silva