Blackburn United 8 (Hutton 29mins, 48mins & 68mins, McQuillan 35mins & 41mins, S.Devine 63mins, Howe 71mins, Campbell 85mins)
St Cuthbert Wanderers 1 (Milligan 19mins)

The first ever meeting of the two sides almost brought an early goal when full-back James Mildren found space on the right to swing in a cross that Andy McQuillan rattled against the underside of the crossbar with only seven minutes on the clock. However, when an early goal did arrive it was the men from Dumfries & Galloway who claimed it, a long ball forward carrying just far enough for MILLIGAN to nip in behind the United rear guard and calmly beat the exposed Jonny Clements with his shot. Minutes later, Mildren linked with Calum McDowall who then swapped passes with Dominic Kane to lift in a back post cross that Richie Hutton knocked past. HUTTON, though, was more accurate just before the half hour mark when the ball was worked out to him on the left corner of the eighteen yard box from where he curled a beauty across the face of goal and in for the equaliser. Six minutes later Blackburn then had the lead when McDowall clipped a pass over the top of the visiting defence for McQUILLAN to run onto and beat Wallace with his shot. Before the break McQUILLAN grabbed his second and United’s third, taking advantage of hesitancy inside the Wanderers box to fire past an unsighted Wallace, although Black almost pulled a goal back with the last attack of the half, racing clear onto a McDonald’s pass but with Clements off his line quickly to narrow his options the striker rushed his effort wide.

Four minutes after the restart Blackburn moved further ahead when HUTTON claimed his second of the afternoon, heading home a McDowall delivery at the back post. At the other end Clements held onto a half hit Harris shot before United found the net again, McQuillan thumping a Danny Campbell cut-back against the post and, when the ball was cleared, Stewart DEVINE met it some twenty five yards out to send it sailing high past Wallace and into the top corner. It was then 6-1 shortly thereafter when Kane, David Howe and Campbell linked to create the chance for HUTTON to claim his hat-trick and the wide player gleefully did just that with a composed finish. Inside the last twenty minutes John Drummond saw his header from a Campbell corner swept off the line by McMurtie but with the ball not fully cleared HOWE followed up to net from just outside the edge of the box. Nine minutes from time Howe almost added an eighth but his twenty five yarder crashed off the bar. However, before the end the eighth and final goal did arrive, McQuillan holding off his marker to hit a shot that was blocked only for CAMPBELL to follow it in and net with ease.

Blackburn United line-up: Clements, Mildren, S.Devine, Lawrie, Drummond, McLeod (Howe 66), McDowall (L.Devine 71), Kane, McQuillan, Campbell, Hutton (Cowan 71) Subs (not used): Browne, Morajda

St Cuthbert Wanderers line-up: Wallace, Hall, Williamson, McConaghie, Peat, McMurtie, Harris, Pipe, Black, McDonald, Milligan Subs: McAdam, Hyslop, Jackson, Davis

Referee: Mr. Daniel Silva


Date Time League Season
September 14, 2019 2:30 pm South Regional Challenge Cup 2019-20


Purdie Worldwide Community Stadium
Rowan Street, Blackburn, Bathgate EH47 7QL, UK


Blackburn United8
St.Cuthbert Wanderers1