Blackburn United 1 Heath 68
Penicuik Athletic 2 Somerville 30, Watson 119

Burnie went into the game missing six regulars but also opened the scoring after three minutes when latching onto a Callum Heath through ball Kieran Sweeney hit the post with his shot from 20 yards, with Laurie Devine’s follow up effort from the rebound sliding past.

On the quarter hour mark, Craig Saunders got down well to push a shot away for a Penicuik corner, then at the other end almost the opener when from a Kyle McClung throw in, David Howe had a shot tipped onto the underside of the bar by Liam Robertson and bounced down close to the line, Sweeney followed up with a header which also hit the bar before Heaths resulting shot was blocked.

Daryll Meikle was next to try his luck but Robertson saved comfortably, then Sweeney shot just over. Penicuik moved up the park from the goal kick and won themselves a free kick, the kick was floated to the far post where Forbes headed back across goal and Aaron Somerville was lurking to shoot past Saunders to open the scoring.

Right on half time Penicuik nearly doubled the leade when Andrew Forbes met a long free kick again at the back post but headed wide.

Marcus Millar, who had went over on his ankle ten minutes from the break, didn’t re-appear and the back line was shuffled again with Jack Sayers coming on.

After 15 minutes of the second half a crossfield pass from Heath found Kieran Sweeney but his angled drive was saved by Robertson. However the equaliser wasn’t long in coming when Callum Heath met a Laurie Devine cross and flashed a shot beyond Robertson for 6 yards.

Penicuik upped the pressure in search of an equaliser and both Baptie and Reid passed up good chances before at the other end Forbes almost headed the ball into his own net. Meanwhile Sweeney got on the end of a Meikle cross at the near post and was inches wide.

The visitors looked to have won it with minutes remaining but the goal was flagged offside by the enclosure side linesman. Sweeney then had another half chance but shot wide.

Into extra time and another injury for Burnie when Kieran Sweeney went down heavily after a poor tackle and went off with a dislocated shoulder. With Blackburn tiring after their second bout of extra-time in a week, Penicuik looked to capitalise and Saunders done well to block a shot, and was again on hand just after the restart of the second period of extra time when He got do superbly to push away a Reid shot only for it to deflect off the inrushing Kateleza intio the net, however he was in an offside position and the goal was ruled out.

With time running out and penalties looming, a long throw-in wasn’t cleared and the ball fell to Kieran Watson to shoot through a crowded box into the corner of the net to win the game.

Blackburn United: Craig Saunders, Lyall Cameron, Kyle McClung, Michael Browne, Marcus Millar (Jack Sayers 46), Daryll Meikle, Laurie Devine (Lennon Smith 109), Dominic Kane (Kieran Sweeney (Baley Ferris 98), David Howe, Kieran Sweeney. Unused Subs: Tom Baillie, Gavin King (GK)

Penicuik Athletic: Liam Robertson, Liam Baptie, Darrell Young, Kieran Watson, Cameron Dawson (Gregor Lamb 63), Aaron Somerville (Lumbert Kateleza 85), Jack Furness (Rhys McMurdo 80), Payl Thomson, Reece Hope (Lewis Collins 91), Andrew Forbes, Nicholas Reid. Unused subs: Robbie Neave, Aiden Walsh.

Referee: Simon MacLean Assistants: Michael Dixon, Steve Ross


Date Time League Season
October 23, 2021 2:30 pm Football Nation Cup 2021-2022


Purdie Worldwide Community Stadium
Rowan Street, Blackburn, Bathgate EH47 7QL, UK


Blackburn United1
Penicuik Athletic2