Season: 2022-23

Blackburn United vs Dundonald Bluebell


Broxburn Athletic vs Blackburn United

East of Scotland Premier League – Saturday 6th August 2022

Broxburn Athletic 1 Henderson 37
Blackburn United 1 Devine 64

The game was a fairly scrappy affair in the first half hour with the blustery wind affecting any high balls and it took until the 28th minute for Burnie to create anything of note when Scott Richards shot over after being set-up by Laurie Devine. At the other end former Burnie man Darren Downie got clear inside the box but shot into the side netting.

Broxburn were enjoying most of the play without creating a lot but that changed on 37 minutes when Craig Henderson fastened onto a loose ball just out side the box and fired past Saunders, although he did appear to control the ball with his hand in the build up with the referee chose not to penalise.

Just before half time, David Wilson cleared a ball over the Brox back line and Hutton latched onto it but his shot went well over.

Right from the kick-off of the second half, Kyle McClung made progress down the left and his cross into the box was met by Devine but he couldn’t his shot which flew over.

A few minutes later Errol Douglas broke free from Wilson on the left wing and angled in on goal, but Saunders got down well to push his shot away for a corner.

The equaliser came just after the hour mark when a defensive mix-up saw Shaun Donoghue cannon his clearance off Richie Hutton and the ball looped up and hit the bar, it fell back to Laurie Devine just inside the area and despite Donoghue getting down to get both hands to his shot, it seemed to squirm from his grasp into the net.

There were a few half chances at either end for the remainder of the match. Andrew Gillen received a second yellow with three minutes left and was sent off, then Daryl Meikle angled a shot inches past the far post. In injury time Burnie had a great chance to win the match when Michael Gould broke free on the left to create a three-on-one, he seemed to hang onto the ball a second too long and overhit his square ball to the unmarked Howe and Meikle in the middle, and the chance was gone.

Broxburn Athletic: Shaun Donoghue, Gordon Donaldson, Daniel Nimmo, Errol Douglas, Darren Downie (Greg Binnie 68), Jordan Orru, Jack Sayers, Andrew Gillen, Josh Jeffries (Ross Nimmo 80), David Greenhill (Robbie Sinclair 59), Craig Henderson. Unused subs: Craig Newall, Liam Gray, David Churchill, Josh Blair.

Blackburn United: Craig Saunders, James Mildren, Kyle McClung, David Wilson, Marcus Millar, Dominic Kane (Michael Gould 80), Calum Heath (Luke Meikle 75), Daryl Meikle, Laurie Devine, Scott Richards (Sam Thomas 55), Richie Hutton (David Hose 80). Unused subs: Joe Osbourne, Keiran Sweeney, Gavin King.

Referee: Alex Shepherd Assistants: Ken Boyd, Robert Swindells.


Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts vs Blackburn United

East of Scotland Premier League – Wednesday 3rd August 2022

Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 3 Murray 8, 27, Spence 33
Blackburn United 2 Hutton 45 & 51

The game started at frantic pace and Burnie really should have gone ahead after only two minutes when Richie Hutton broke into the left hand side of the Swifts box and squared the ball across goal, it evaded Sweeney but there was nobody at the back post to tap it in.

The opening goal came at the other end shortly after when a poor pass by Trialist was intercepted and fed into Calllum Murray who held off David Howe and angled a shot past Welna. Ryan Cowie then headed wide form a good position inside the box.

On the quarter hour mark, Scott Richards also headed wide from a Laurie Devine cross, and it was the latter a few minutes later who was fouled on the edge of the area but Richards fired the free kick straight at Neil Mitchell.

The hosts went further ahead on 27 minutes when, after a David Howe free-kick into the Swifts box, Spence cleared and the hosts quickly broke, the ball finding its way to Murray who shot past Wemna for his second.

Swifts were causing all sorts of trouble to the Burnie defence and just past the half hour it was three when Greg Spence first timed a 25 yard shot into the postage stamp.

However, on the stroke of half time Richards slid in Hutton on the left and he took a touch before guiding the ball beyond Mitchell to reduce the deficit and provide a bit of a hope of a comeback.

That hope was increased seven minutes into the second half when it was Richards again who set-up Hutton to grab a second and the game was on.

On the hour mark, a corner found Marcus Millar at the back post but his shot was straight at Mitchelll, then immediately at the other end, Murray half hit a shot which Cowie flicked at with his head and it rebounded back off the post.

It was end-to-end stuff and Welna kept Burnie in it with a point blank save from Spence with 20 minutes remaining. Forrest was then replaced by Michael Gould after being concussed from a clash inside the box..

It was Welna again that saved from Spence as Swifts looked to put the game beyond Burnies reach, and deep into injury time the equaliser almost came when, with Welna up for the corner, James Mildren headed wide.

Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts: Neil Mitchell, Michael Paterson, Callum Murray, Shay Brough, Callum Deas, Ynyr Liddell, Liam Evans, Lewis Hynd (Liam Kelly 65), Ryan Cowie (Sean Cumming 78), Pat Scullion, Greig Spence. Unused subs: Charlie Simpson, Thomas Simpson, Ronan McMurchie, Ben Ramage, Michael Gibb.

Blackburn United: Jakub Welna, James Mildren, Kyle McClung, Trialist (Michael Gould 77), Marcus Millar, David Howe (Dominic Kane 64), Laurie Devine, Daryl Meikle, Keiran Sweeney (Calum Heath 59), Scott Richards, Richard Hutton. Unused subs: Joe Osbourne, Luke Meikle, David McKeon, Craig Saunders.

Referee: Kyle Hall Assistants: Evan Cairns, Ralph Gordon


Blackburn United vs Linlithgow Rose

East of Scotland Premier League – 30th July 2022

Blackburn United 1 Richards 79
Linlithgow Rose 1 Andrews 90+2

Burnie had Craig Saunders, Danny Campbell unavailable, David Wilson suspended and Fraser Cormack nursing an injury, with Richie Hutton filling-in at right-back and Dominic Kane back from holiday and on the bench.

Burnie had the ball in the net after 5 minutes when Luke Meikle angled a shot past Binnie but the referee’s whistle blew for offside. A few minutes later at the other end Mark Stowe cut inside and curled a shot off Welna’s far post and out for a goal kick.

Burnie were struggling to gain any foothold in the game and it was Stowe again who broke clear and clashed with Welna inside the area but referee Struthers waved away shouts for a penalty. It was Welna again who kept the scores level when a free kick into the box resulted in a bit of a stramash with Welna saving a couple of close range efforts and the ball crashing off the bar before being hacked to safety.

On 35 minutes there were more calls for a penalty when Kyle McLung dived into a challenge on Stowe on the left hand edge of the six yard box and appeared to bring him down without getting to the ball, but the referee awarded a corner kick instead, and Burnie survived the half without conceding.

The second half continue in the same vein but it was sub Scott Richards, on for Sam Thomas at the half, who almost opened the scoring on 62 minutes when he curled a shot beyond Binnie but watched it cannon back off the post. Linlithgow then nearly took the lead on 75 minutes but for a piece of brilliant goalkeeping, a cross deep to the back post was met by that man again Stowe, his header looked goal bound before Welna clawed it over the bar.

Blackburn then, for the first time in the game, exerted a bit of pressure and it paid dividends. Firstly Binnie was caught in no mans land but Michael Gould’s effort from distance flew over, then a minute later Kieran Sweeney broke the offside trap and bore down on Binnie, but the keeper got a heel to the shot and the ball crept past. However from Hutton’s corner kick, Scott Richards glanced a fantastic header into the far corner of the net to give Burnie the lead.

With time running out the lead was almost doubled when from a free kick out by the right corner flag, the ball was again met by Richards but his effort was hacked off the line by Allison.

With the game moving into injury time Linlithgow finally made their dominance count when from an in- swinging corner, the ball was deflected goalwards which deceived Welna and ended up in the net, with Own Andrews claiming it.

Blackburn United: Jakub Welna, Richie Hutton, Kyle McClung, James Mildren, Marcus Millar, David Howe (Dominic Kane 75), Calum Heath (Kieran Sweeney 59), Daryl Meikle, Laurie Devine (Trialist 81), Sam Thomas (Scott Richards 46), Luke Meikle (Michael Gould 75). Unused subs: Gavin King, Joe Osbourne.

Linlithgow Rose: Cameron Binnie, Cameron Thomson, Gary Thom, Liam Allison, Greg Skinner, Mark Stowe, Sean Heaver (Owen Andrew 60), Conor McKenzie, Jack Ogilvie (Alex Cunningham 68), Greg MacPherson, Callum Bremner. Unused subs: Lewis McMinn, Alex Webb, Ben Davidson, Trialist, Jamie Allan.

Referee: Rhys Struthers Assistants: Stuart Gray, Richard Kay.