King Cup Second Round  –  Saturday 2nd March 2019

Camelon                         3           ​Skinner 45+1, Anderson 52, Docherty 73

Blackburn United          0          

Missing top scorer Darren Downie, United made the thirty minute or so journey to face fellow Conference C side Camelon in the King Cup but were further up against it as early as the eleventh minute when his replacement, Danny Campbell, pulled up with what looked like a hamstring problem as he chased a through ball, young Aaron Gowans coming on in his place and into an unfamiliar strikers role. However only four minutes later Blackburn almost grabbed the lead, but when home ‘keeper Shaw failed to deal adequately with a Stuart McLeod free-kick into the box Skinner was on hand to spare his blushes and clear off the line. A further eight minutes on and Skinner’s central defensive partner Morrison took his turn to be in the right place at the right time, getting back to hack the ball off the line after Gowans had raced onto a Craig Young through ball and beaten Shaw with his shot. The hosts, though, were beginning to feel their way into the game and when Lochie hit a twenty yard free kick into the defensive wall Marty Lawrie did well to get his head to the full-back’s follow-up effort to deflect it past for a corner. From McKenzie’s resultant flag kick Sneddon headed the ball onto the roof of Darren Mitchell’s net. In the time added on at the end of the half for Campbell’s early injury Camelon then forced one last opening from a corner, Sneddon heading goalwards where McLeod was on hand to head the ball up against his own crossbar and clear only for it to eventually be forced back across the face of goal where SKINNER had found a yard of space to knock home. Despite vociferous complaints that the scorer was offside and referee Mr. Newman speaking briefly with his enclosure side linesman the goal stood.

Seven minutes after the resumption the Carmuirs Park men forged two ahead when, after a James Mildren foul some twenty plus yards from goal, the prolific ANDERSON fired the resultant free-kick into Mitchell’s bottom left hand corner. United then scorned a terrific opportunity to haul themselves back into the cup tie when Gowans put Richie Hutton through on Shaw but the home ‘keeper’s speed from his line had narrowed the angle sufficiently enough that the Blackburn man couldn’t force his shot past him. With seventeen minutes remaining Camelon ensured any lingering doubts over the result were extinguished when substitute DOCHERTY was quick and clever to beat the offside trap and advance on goal before drawing Mitchell and sliding an effort beyond him and into the waiting net. Before the end Mitchell pulled off a top drawer save to make sure the score stayed as it was and by the final whistle the hosts had deservedly advanced to the third round, although the final scoreline was perhaps just a little bit flattering.

Blackburn United line-up: Mitchell, Herriot, Lawrie, Mildren, Drummond, Browne, Williamson, McLeod, Campbell (Gowans 11), Young, Hutton (L.Devine 74)  Subs (not used): Bonnar, M.Campbell, Sinnet, Ure

Camelon line-up: Shaw, Deans, Lochie, Morrison, Skinner, Kay, Kane, Herron, Sneddon, Anderson, McKenzie  Subs: Docherty, Frame, McMullan, McCroary, Batchelor, Livingstone

Referee: Mr. Chris Newman               Assistants: Mr. Chris Hobbs & Mr. Darren Robertson

Att: 150


Date Time League Season
March 2, 2019 2:30 pm King Cup 2018-19


Carmuirs Park
16 Fairlie Dr, Camelon, Falkirk FK1 4NP, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Camelon Juniors123
Blackburn United000