Newtongrange Star 1 Blackburn United 1

Newtongrange Star 1 (Smith 76mins)

Blackburn United 1 (Howe 43mins)

A confident touch from Marty Lawrie in his own box allowed him to send Andy McQuillan clear on the left and once he had made ground into the Newtongrange half he released Darren Gribben inside the full-back but his twist into space saw his eventual shot held by Brennan. At the other end McIntosh’s shot from the right angle of the box was high and wide before Bremner hit a half volley over under pressure from Lawrie. On the half hour mark a thunderous effort from Danny Campbell from some twenty yards or more clattered off the underside off the crossbar before it was scrambled clear but nonetheless United were ahead before the interval, David HOWE engineering himself enough space just inside the area to hit a shot beyond Brennan despite the keeper getting a hand to it.

Nine minutes into the second period and Blackburn almost moved further ahead when Lawrie and Howe linked to set up McQuillan for a header that was held. Campbell then got behind the Star back line and onto a Howe pass but his parting effort was dragged past. Bremner then had a twenty five yarder saved as the hosts exerted some pressure in search of an equaliser and Davies came close too but James Mildren did enough to put him off. However, with less than a quarter of an hour remaining the Victoria Park side did claim a share of the spoils, Peden hitting the byeline and cutting a ball back into the path of SMITH who took a touch before dispatching a strike behind Craig Saunders.

Blackburn United line-up: Saunders, Sayers, Lawrie, Mildren, Millar, Cameron, Campbell, Howe, McQuillan (Sweeney 78), Gribben (Smith 26), Hutton (McClung 87)  Subs (not used): Baillie, Browne, Clements

Newtongrange Star line-up: Brennan, Peden, Web, Ferguson, Tait, Nelson, McIntosh, Dougal, McBay, Bremner, Smith  Subs: McCathie, Muir, Conlon, Davies, Turner, Meldrum, Rixon

Referee: Mr. Mark Harris

Assistants: Mr. James Taylor & Mr. Craig Skirving