Blackburn United 1 Dundonald Bluebell 2

Saturday  28th November 2020  –  East of Scotland Premier League

Blackburn United                           1             Dundonald Bluebell                       2

L.Devine 50                                                     Strang 36, Dall 90+4

It was a fairly uneventful opening period to the match with both teams sizing each other up without creating much of note. Just past the quarter hour mark the first real chance was created, a free kick by Aiden Hendry was met by Barry Sibanda who headed back across goal where Stuart Cargill had time to gather and turn but his shot was clawed away by Gavin King, and Marty Lawrie cleared the loose ball before Sibanda could get on the end of it.

It took until the half hour for the next chance when Callum Strang swung in a free-kick from the right and Sibanda slashed high and wide from only 8 yards. However on 36 minutes the opening goal came when from a throw-in deep on the right hand side, it was flicked on and Strang got his head to it and flicked it on again, this time into the far corner of the net.

Blackburn had created little of note but that changed early in the second half when Laurie Devine set Brian Ross clear down the right wing, James Lennox came racing out of his goal but Ross dinked it past him and crossed from the bye line into the middle for Devine to head into the unguarded net for the equaliser.

On 59 minutes, a long throw out by King found Ross who sent a through ball which Danny Campbell tried to race onto. Lennox got to the ball just before Campbell but a collision was inevitable, and a stramash involving most players ensued.  After Campbell had received treatment he was booked for his part in the challenge but Lennox was lucky only to see yellow for retaliation in the aftermath.

Then with twenty minutes remaining Lewis McKenzie went in late on Marley Redfern with his studs showing and referee Colin Whyte flashed the red card, reducing Bluebell to ten men.

Blackburn looked to take advantage and a few minutes later Macleod sent a long ball upto Ross who was racing clear but Scott Durie managed to make up the ground and put in a goal saving tackle.  Devine then flashed a header wide from a Mildren cross as the home side pushed for a second.

With 10 minutes left Ross swung in a cross, Devine got his head to it but Lennox managed to tip the effort over the bar almost from point blank range. Then Ross himself had an effort that flew over.

With time running out Derek Wallace headed wide from a corner in a rare second half chance for the visitors before into injury time Marty Lawrie was sent packing for a second yellow after a challenge on Sibanda. As play continued and into the fourth minute of injury time, a long ball from the back found Kieran Dall in the clear on the right and his angled drive across King crept in at the far post to win it for the visitors.

Blackburn United: Gavin King, James Mildren, Marty Lawrie, John Drummond, Michael Browne, Stuart MacLeod, Laurie Devine, Justin Watson, Brian Ross, Danny Campbell (Kieran Swanson 92), Marley Redfern (Richie Hutton 77). Unused subs: David Howe, Jordan Devine, Marc Smith, Paddy Queen, Craig Saunders.

Dundonald Bluebell: James Lennox, Scott Durie, Aiden Hendry, Colin Wilson, Lewis McKenzie, Barry Sibanda, Stuart Cargill, Ross Mutch (Kieran Dall 46), Derek Wallace, Chris Gay, Callum Strang (Craig Wedderburn 75). Unused subs: Darren Gribbin, Jason McLaren.  

 Referee: Colin Whye                    Assistants: George King, James Taylor