Blackburn United 4 Dunbar United 0

A brace from Danny Campbell, and further goals from John Drummond and an OG gave a well deserved win.

Blackburn United 4 (Campbell 6mins & 71mins, Drummond 82mins, OG 87mins)

Dunbar United 0

League title rivals in the ERSJFA South Division only three seasons ago the two United’s met for the first time in the EoSFL Premier Division looking to secure the points that would push them up towards mid table safety and on a bright but chilly afternoon it was Blackburn who made the early breakthrough, captain Michael Browne forcing the ball into the box from out on the left and finding Danny CAMPBELL whose hitch-kick from around ten yards out squeezed past Laing in the visiting goal and into the waiting net. On the thirteen minute mark Campbell almost made it two when Richie Hutton’s delivery from way out on the left set him up for a shot that Laing saved brilliantly. Two minutes later and the big Dunbar ‘keeper was at it again, matching if not bettering his earlier save to deny Campbell once again after the striker had clipped Calum McDowall’s cut-back onto the target. At the other end Ballantyne had a glorious opportunity to equalise when finding himself unmarked at the back post but he couldn’t direct his effort past Darren Mitchell who managed to save comfortably enough. Another Seasiders chance came and went midway through the half when McLaren miscontrolled a delivery from the right that subsequently popped up invitingly for Tait but he could only head straight at Mitchell. Tait was then wildly inaccurate with a shot after Mitchell had punched a Peden cross clear and it was at the other end that a second goal almost arrived when Laurie Devine, on his first start of the season after regularly impressing in the U20s, controlled a long ball forward and hit a half-volley on the run that Laing acrobatically tipped over the top.

Devine was also involved early in the second period, linking with McDowall for the latter to fire a crossfield pass in front of Richie Hutton but, after a good touch to take the ball out from under his feet, his twenty yarder was saved by Laing. A quick and clever free-kick by the Seasiders then set up Tait for an angled shot that was gathered by Mitchell before play swung back towards Laing’s goal, Hutton making ground on the left and pulling a ball back into the path of Devine who side-footed narrowly over. However, Blackburn did double their lead just seven or so minutes later when Stuart McLeod picked out McDowall on the right and when he spotted CAMPBELL’S supporting run and slotted the ball in front of him the striker hit a first time shot across Laing and home despite the big ‘keeper getting a touch to it. Mitchell then saved a Fiddler pop from twenty two yards as Dunbar tried to force a way back into the game but with eight minutes remaining it was put well beyond them when, after Hutton was upended out on the left, McDowall floated in the resultant free-kick and John DRUMMOND rose highest to bullet his header into the net. Three minutes from time further polish was added to the scoreline when Hutton rolled a pass inside left-back Peden for McDowall to run onto and when his square ball fizzed across the six yard line the unfortunate Tait could only divert it into his own net in his desperation to clear.

Blackburn United line-up: Mitchell, Mildren, Drummond, Lawrie, Taylor, Browne, McDowall, McLeod (Young 81), L.Devine (Howe 76), Campbell (Thomas 84), Hutton  Subs (not-used): Welsh, S.Devine, Clements

Dunbar United line-up: Laing, McFarlane, Peden, Harley, Szemis, Gray, S.Tait, Fiddler, McLaren, Neave, Ballantyne  Subs: Kean, Chapman, McTernan, Cropley, K.Tait, McCathie

Referee: Mr. Iain Snedden

Assistants: Mr. Danny MacKinnon & Mr. Raymond Gordon